|Flite Test swappable Nut Ball airplanes my daughter and I built|
Then I hooked up with Daniel Madrigal on YouTube. Check out his site! This guy builds some really cool foamie jets completely from scratch. Now I have the bug and I want to move on to my own scratch built planes.
On to the big question that everyone has, why the heck a Yak 52? Yes, we can all see building a Yak 54, these planes are all over the place as one of the best aerobatic planes, but a Yak 52? Well, it really comes down to the first time I was really exposed to this plane, and that was in one of my, and my oldest daughter's, favorite movies: Resident Evil: Afterlife. In the beginning of this movie Alice (Milla Jovavich) along with Claire (Ali Larter), flies a Yak 52 from Alaska to Los Angeles and crash lands it on top of a sky scrapper. First you may ask, "How did I even notice the plane with Milla Jovavich and Ali Larter? Well I did and I fell in love with Milla,.. I mean the Yak 52 and have liked this quirky plane ever since. I most likely would not be scratch building this plane except that it's really hard to find a Yak 52 kit, especially for electric. So, I'm building my own.
How am I starting?
Like Daniel suggests, I'm starting with a "three view". This is like it sounds, a drawing with three views of the subject. I found several just by searching the Internet for "Yak 52" and "drawing", "plans", "three view", etc. After selecting the one I liked the most, I had to figure how big I wanted to make it and how I was going to scale it up. I could have used Daniel's technique of finding all of the "joints" and scaling and transferring all of these measurements to a larger sheet, but I have laser printers and computers at my disposal and decided to use them to scale the drawing. I started by deciding that I would like to make mine 5 times larger than my drawing. This would give me about a 33 inch wing span. The drawing I had was already sized for an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper so once I opened it in my drawing program, I selected a custom paper size of 5 times 8.5 x 11 ( or at least 42.5 x 55 inches in my case). Then I expanded my drawing dimensions by a factor of 5 in height and width. From here I saved the new drawing as a PDF file. From my PDF document viewer I had the option to print on multiple sheets of letter paper or, "Poster" print. This then gave me a bunch of sheets that I cut out and taped together.
|My enlarged drawing "Poster" printed and all taped together|
Now, on to the build!
I started the same way that Daniel did with his planes that used bulkhead sections. I started with a fuselage base to attach sections to. I also started by normalizing and straightening some of the dimensions. By this I mean that I took out some of the subtle curves and contours and also adjusted some of the dimensions to even increments. The width of the fuselage base in the photo was set to an even 3 inches instead of the measured 3 and 1/16 inches. I also had to estimate where the firewall would go and what I would make it from and how thick that would be (I decided on 1/8 inch plywood).
Then I started drawing out bulkhead pieces and shaping them down to compensate for the 3/16 inch foam skin I'm going to wrap it in. I had some nice sectional views to work with that you can see in the previous photo. These helped greatly in getting the shape right. If I did not have these I would have been tempted to just make it completely round the whole length like I have seen other do.
That's all for now. I'll have more soon.
Thanks for stopping by my blog. Please feel free to post comments, good or bad, and be sure to come back and check for future posts.