Pages

Sunday, October 1, 2017

Adding Voice to my TG9X

I finally decided to install the MegaSound mod board that I purchased over 2 years ago.  I'm really happy that I completed this mod as it makes a bigger difference than you think to have your transmitter tell you something without having to look down.

Unfortunately I do not have good photos of this mod, so I will do my best with words and what pictures are available.

From the instructions on Open RC forums and the instructions that came with it, I came up with my plan.  I decided to place the board in the lower right of the inside as you see in the pictures.  This placement helped with wiring but was not optimal for the SD card.  It took a while to solder up, but was not to bad.  I decided to use wires from some ribbon cable that I had available and it worked just fine.  I did use some heavier wire for the power connections that you can see in red and black in the picture below.


When it came time to mount the board, I needed something to keep it from shorting with the main board.  I use a lot of Dollar Tree foam board and decided that would make for a good space.  I cut a piece just smaller that the board and hot glued it to the backside. Then test fit it and used some more  hot glue to secure it to the main board.  Worked well and I'm happy with it.

It was also necessary to install a new speaker (supplied with the kit).  There was a perfect place to install it behind the grill,  A little hot glue and it was in just fine.  The instructions required the removal of the mini speaker and drive transistor.  I have the needed solder iron and solder sucker so this was easy to accomplish.  The picture below shows the installed speaker and the board with the mini speaker and drive transistor removed.  There is a wire connected to the signal to the drive transistor so that the MegaSound board knows when the main board is sending tones to the speaker.


These photos show everything completed and ready to go back together.



I followed instructions that I found on Open RC forums to record computer generated voice sayings.  I saved these to the micro SD card with the appropriate files names.

I never realized how nice it would be to have audio and now I love it.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.  Please feel free to post comments, good or bad, and be sure to come back and check for future posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be posted as soon as I have a chance to approve it.
Mr. Clean