Pages

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

$5 Durifly Ryan STA(M)

Ok, maybe it will not turn out to be $5, but it started that way.  I was browsing Hobby Kings bargain bin items and under the $0.99 bin I found all of the critical parts for the Durifly Ryan STA(M)!  I was really bummed to find out that the engine cowling and parts kits, while not $0.99, were out of stock, but I can live without those.  I'm not so much looking for a complete, complete deal here, I just want something that I can have fun flying, looks reasonably good, and relatively cheep.

So, here is what I ordered.  One set (yes, set, right and left) of wings, one fuselage, one cockpit, one rudder, and one stabilizer.  Each was only $0.99!  So, ok, this will not come out to a $5 build as I did have to pay shipping and HK is smart enough not to let you order too many $0.99 pieces without ordering something else (I had to split this into two orders!), so shipping cost me about $28, or about $14 each order.  But still, I'm only about $35 into a $150 plane, so far.

I did already add two 9g servos to the wings (about $4 each).  You can see them installed into the wings in these photos.


The really good stuff (besides the parts being CHEAP!) is that everything was already covered, all movable surfaces were already hinged with control horns and stoppers, and the rudder has the tail wheel installed.  All very nice indeed!

The not so good stuff, the wings came without the spare (that seemed really odd!).  So I had to make one using a lot of educated guessing (but I got it done).  The rudder was a little kinked about mid way, right where the balsa color changes.  I have no engine cowl.  I have no landing gear, wheels, or pants (I'll make a set but don't plan on making the pants), the cockpit section came without the dash decals, the manual (as sparse as it was) is no longer available (luckily someone posted photos of theirs on RCGroups), and the hardware kit is no longer available (this included all of the linkage, screws, support wires/string, wing mounting screws, and misc. hardware).  I will also have to provide two more servos for the tail surfaces, a 25Amp ESC, a 3530 1100Kv motor, and a 10x6 prop.

So far I have the wing spar made, the wing halves epoxied together, and the aileron servos installed.
This photo shows the wing spar that I cut from 1/8 inch plywood.  I measured the depth of the slot in each wing to come up with an estimate for it's length.  I measured the angle of the wing roots to come up with an approximate dihedral angle.  I carved and sanded until it fit and the two wing roots came together nice and flush.




I then put a liberal amount of 5 min. epoxy into each wing root spar opening and covered the root faces with a thing layer of epoxy.  Then I slid the left side of the spar (yes, it has sides to match the wing) into the left wing and then slid on the right wing onto the right side.  Then I taped up the bottom side good and flush (lower photo) and then pulled the top side together nice and flush and secured with tape (upper photo).  I left this to sit over night.


Here is what the parts look like so far.

Check back again and find out how this new project is coming together and as usual, thanks for stopping by my blog.

Please feel free to post comments, good or bad, and be sure to come back and check for future posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be posted as soon as I have a chance to approve it.
Mr. Clean