Saturday, December 31, 2011

Battery Scare

My new LiPo
Hello all,

So this morning I'm laying in bed thinking about modding my transmitter battery when I realized that I had left my brand new Turnigy 2200 Lipid battery on my Tenergy charger all night! I had flown the previous day and wanted to make sure it was charged up if I had an opportunity to fly the next day. Well I had put it on the charger later that evening and forgot about it! Since none of our smoke alarms were going off I knew it had not overheated and burst into flames. Even so, I was glad that I had placed the charger and battery in a metal pan on the tile counter top in our kitchen so that if it had "burst into flames", the damage would be minimal. Now that I was pretty sure there was no fire (no alarm, remember), I was wondering what would be the state of the battery. I had visions of a puffed up, bloated, and worthless battery pack.

Team Tenergy charger and wall adapter
I rushed down stairs and into the kitchen. No scorched pan. No burnt smell. And, best of all, no puffed or bloated battery pack, and the charger light was still green! I quickly unplugged everything and checked it all out. The battery was not puffed at all or even warm. The charger was not warm and neither was the power adapter.

A closer look at the Team Tenergy charger
Wow, was I happy. This inexpensive Team Tenergy charger did exactly what I would want a charger to do, charge the battery appropriately and then turn off the charging. This has been a great little charger. I know it only charges at one amp (which means long charge times for large packs) and can only charge up to 4 cells, but right now that's all I need and it can charge from a wall power adapter or car battery. This little charger is easy to use as well as it has a red light to show that it is charging and a green light to show when it's done, and it does balancing too. Needles to say, I am very happy with this charger.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.  Please feel free to post comments, good or bad, and be sure to come back and check for future posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be posted as soon as I have a chance to approve it.
Mr. Clean